Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Breather! It's Not What I Expected...

Things are constantly busy around here and I thought that with my broken foot, I would have had a bigger break. Not the case! I am definitely not complaining though. The few days that I did have sitting at home were so long and I started to get the hum drums. So, we loaded up the kids and went to Vegas to help celebrate Camri's first birthday! Camri loves animals so we went to Bonnie Springs because Courtney heard they had a petting zoo. We had a lot of fun. Deer roaming around free (and chewing on your clothes!), chickens and roosters just walking around and the funniest one was the pig! This thing was nasty looking. It was so bad James wouldn't even touch it for a picture!!! Yuck! They had some cute live shows where they deputized the kids (well, just Jackson. Julie wasn't up for the challenge that day.) and did some other fun stuff. If you are in Vegas and want to try something different, I would recommend it. Then back to Joe & Courts for cake and ice cream. It was a really fast trip but we had a good time.
Back home there was quite a bit of stuff going on. James ran in the Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay. If you haven't heard of this, it is a 2 day event where 12 people run 188 miles in a relay. James did it last year in an ultra team (only 6 people) and it about did him in. This time around he went with the 12 person team. They called themselves Wii not Fit. He had a really good time and I am sure will do it again next year. Here is their team and one of the vans they decorated.
We also had the opportunity to go to the Air Show in the VIP Thunderbirds area. While we were there, Joe had what they call a FARKLE. It's a chance for the family and friends to hear about Joe and all of his incredible accomplishments during his time in the Air Force and to be honored by the Thunderbirds team. We had the chance to meet all the Thunderbird pilots. It was a once in a lifetime experience. Joe has done some remarkable things during his time and we were all proud to be there supporting him.
We have also spent a good portion of time going to Jacksons track & field meets. He loves running the 50 and 100 meter sprints and doing the long jump. He took second in the 100 meter and long jump and third in the 50 meter overall during his last track meet. I am so proud of him! He gets it from his dad, that's for sure!
Plus, I gotta add the 4th of July celebrations. We did our usual traditions but I promised my cousins that I would post a couple videos and pics of them messing around in Scott's pool. Sorry Dave & Chris, James made the biggest waves. That's My Man!!!! Better luck next time boys!




Julie also had the chance to ride on the Davis Hospital float this year with her Grandpa. They had a great time together.
Last year we started a tradition that I hope we keep up. We went to the fireworks done by the city with our friends and ate homemade ice cream while we watched. We have had a great time both years and look forward to many years to come.
And last but not least, Julie and I spent the day at a day camp with the Activity Day girls. They climbed a rock wall, shot BB guns and bows & arrows, learned about astronomy, and went on a zip line. It was a long day but the girls had a great time. Julie and our neighbor even went so far as to make me thank you cards and gave me a stuffed bear they bought at camp with their own money because I took them. They are so cute. Here is Julie on the zip line and shooting her bow & arrow.
So when people ask if I have enjoyed slowing things down I just smile. I can't handle life with nothing to do. Someone recently told me that when they asked what I was like, they were told I go 90 miles an hour and don't stop. I am now proud of that description and wouldn't trade it for a life of leisure for anything. (James, that doesn't mean I wouldn't love going and doing nothing for a week on some tropical island!!!!)

4 comments:

Tammie said...

You guys are busy having all kinds of fun. Sounds like a great summer so far. Love you guys.

Tim said...

Wow non stop action from the McBride clan!!! It looks like you guys are having a fun time despite the injury. Well done.

Sonnet said...

That was one loaded post. You have been busy! I know so many people that were in the Wasatch Back relay.

Diana said...

Slow does not equal Jenni! So, I just heard that you can tell who and how often someone visits your blog-so...do you see that I come here hundreds of times a day to see if you or anyone on your list has posted! I am addicted!