Friday, December 3, 2010

My Scouters

Jackson earned his Wolf on Wednesday! He was so excited to have everyone come and celebrate this special time with him. I had NO IDEA who extensive the requirements are for the different ranks in the cub scouts. Jackson has loved every minute of it though! He worked really hard in order to get the special ribbons that they are offering since it is the 100th year anniversary of the Boy Scouts. And he set a goal to earn his Wolf before the end of the year. The last requirement he had to do, we drove to the local Veterans Park and he and James talked about what a special place and what incredible people they honor there.
He already has 7 belt loops and a pin but plans to do a lot more in the next 6 months until he can start on the Bear book. Plus, there are a few other badges he has set his sights on! After pack meeting, there was a Court of Honor. Along with honoring all the accomplishments that these boys have achieved (so proud of all of you!), James had to do a presentation on what the different rankings in Boy Scouts is,in order to complete one of his "tickets" (goals) he set for himself during his time at WoodBadge. He had a boy in each of the rankings come and repeat their oath. Jackson got up to do the Cub Scout oath and did a fabulous job in front of all those people. I will be the first to admit that I thought the Boy Scout organization was a little "dorky or nerdy" BUT after seeing the difference it has made in all the boys around me, along with my husband and son, I am so grateful for the Boy Scouting Organization!

3 comments:

Cari said...

Go Jackson! That is such an accomplishment, he should be so proud of himself.

I'm really debating whether I want Mat to participate in Scouts when he is old enough. I hate that the program for girls isn't even close in caliber to the scout program for boys. I think its one of the areas the church needs to improve (but who am I to tell the church to improve, right?)

Tim said...

I just got released as a Webelos leader. It was a VERY challenging calling for me, especially with such a crazy work schedule. So in a lot of ways I am glad to be "out." However, when I was in Scouts I do remember nothing but good times and do look back at those days fondly

Courtney said...

Way to go Jackson & James!!! PS Jenni your hair is SO adorable! I'm super jealous.